Tuesday, February 5, 2008

ticker tape

Ticker Tape

"the city, she loves me"

I wake up in love
with the city.

she has the sparkle
of victory
in her eye.

i rise to greet her
and feel happiness radiating.
her heart beats contendly,
warming me beyond any february rain.

as I walk her streets,
her canyons,
her buildings envelop me
in loving embrace,

and she rains gentle kisses on my head.

every one of her cells sings out joyously
as she runs to meet me.

so this is what immortality feels like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the city too. Especially her canyons.

But anyway, am I correct in interpreting the rain of "gentle kisses" as the falling confetti? And the "cells" of the city would be the city-dwellers lined up to cheer on the parade.

Writing from other perspectives has always been trouble for me. I'm admiring your facility with it (assuming you're not secretly a NYGiant).

Ruby K said...

sadly, i'm not secretly a NY Giant. Though I wish I could be. Maybe I'll write the next poem about Justin Tuck. :-D

as i didn't respond to SN's question about how the title of Yellow Pages works with the piece, i'm probably not going to comment so much on imagery, as I want to leave it to imagination, but those are some good guesses. anyone else got anything out there?