Saturday, February 2, 2008

i believe

I believe

"she holds a goblet in her right hand
and makes a blessing over the entire land"

Daughter of David,
come to me.

i believe with perfect intention
that you are already waiting.

you've been here,
and when you reveal yourself,

the world will have no choice
but to

fall into place.

guns will rip themselves to pieces,
bullets expectorating their gunpowder
and becoming nails
for houses.

high fructose corn syrup
will rearrange into
spinach,

seedless grapes
will plant themselves and
become vineyards.

a flash of your eyes
will turn CO2
into oxygen,

the breeze that passes through
your hair
will cool tempers
and warm hearts.

your smile
will wipe injustice
from our lands.

I believe
you are already here,
Daughter of David,

but I'm willing to wait
willing to tarry outside these gates
as long as it takes

to properly greet your arrival.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it a lot.. especially the adaptation of classical ideas (perfect intention, vineyard, etc.)

The simple clear language and short bites of imagery held it all together really well.

I would have picked a less Latinate word than "expectorating", to preserve that feeling.

Ruby K said...

Chillul who? ,

thanks for the comments! one thought on expectorate. I know it's a little jarring, but i actually chose it because there's a lot of imagery about guns spitting out bullets, and I wanted to play back at that, the idea of bullets spitting out the powder that makes them deadly and becoming constructive pieces of metal.

thanks again for the comments!