Monday, March 3, 2008

untitled

untitled

still numb, I
hang receiver on cradle
myself in oversized arms
still not big enough
to catch the enormity,
not small enough
to keep sand
from slipping away
from me.

it happens, you say,
it could have happened
when she was 25,
but it didn't.

i see her,
fighting her way
through transliteration,
i hear her voice,
shushing my shock
at her kindness
as if to say
everyone deserves this,
but you get it
because i love you.

as i clutch at roots,
the tree reminds me
that someday,
i'll be those roots,
and I need to build
a strong trunk, good
branches,
and be prepared
for the fact that,

no matter how hard
I want to stop it,
leaves still fall.

8 comments:

SN said...

I think this is the best one you've posted so far.

Ruby K said...

thanks, sn.

The Wandering Jew said...

Big hugs your way, R-K. I'm sorry for your loss.

Ruby K said...

thanks, feygele.

The Fellowship of the Ringing said...

More hugs coming (they take a few seconds to cross the ocean, but no longer). May you be comforted.

Ruby K said...

thanks, FOTR. the comfort comes in expressing it all, and in getting love from the good people that make this world worthwhile. much love.

Unknown said...

This is really so very beautiful; an amazing expression of the weight of loss and of course of your loss in particular. Any way that I can make life lighter or just be a support - I am here.

Ruby K said...

thanks carinne. glad you dig, and even more glad for the support.