Thursday, March 6, 2008

back on the horse

back on the horse

before I used words like blankets
and bullets, i heard trumpets
cracking fragile walls i had
erected hastily, truly bad
excuses for protection crumble
with every whisper, shout, mumble,
laugh, snappy comebacks stumble
between synapses and vocal chords
not yet my friends, these words.
before i carried a second person
on my back, my position worsened
beneath the weight of my own
appetite for destruction sown
in the seeds of my guts.

now i fight to open doors nailed shut,
making good on promises made
during the pain of fifth grade.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will quote yourself back to you, "Living well is the best revenge."

Ruby K said...

Now General,

if you're gonna quote that particular one, the whole quote means something different. I'll put the whole thing on the Riot Act for folks to check out:

"Living well
Is the best revenge,
What better way
To impress with success
those who, say
chose to, hey
taunt you, they
throw you gaily
to wolves and lions.
Slay you with words
Surround you- fucking herbs
Always needed a posse
To roll up on me.

If you look back on me fondly
As your sax playing buddy
I doubt you really recall me.
Maybe instead of success,
Impress upon you
The pain you caused
By using your skull
As my coffee mug,
Your skin
As my draws

Maybe I’ll just do it
In a poem

Not concerned with applause,
Breaking neither bones nor laws
But simply because
I still fight for the soul
You tried to take away."

---Young and Depressionable, 5/2003