Monday, January 28, 2008

Morning Coffee

Sometimes,

the anticipation is enough to get me going.

dreaming of that hot blend of sweet power
jumping into my mouth to whisper backwards
through my throat
that it's time to begin

consideration of how I'll taste it this morning

will it be head on, powerful, unrestrained
uncut by lightness or sweetness, but emerging passionately
from pot to mug to mouth?

will it be blessed by sugar and cocoa
a dulcet concoction of
dreamy deliciousness?

should I add milk,
watching the storm brew
between clashing liquids
before (with a little bit of stirring)
they give over and
become one?

should I go for piping hot and take little sips,
or let just a little heat escape
so I can enjoy more per mouthful?

will one cup be enough, or should
I make a whole pot today?

I've already dreamed of endless possibilities
before I start grinding the beans.

No comments: